Informatics as a part of life
As an objective of teaching of ICT is to equip students with the technological skills to become independent learners, the teaching style is as active and practical as possible. While, at times, the teacher gives direct instruction to students on how to use hardware or software, the main emphasis in teaching ICT is on using computers to drive progress in any area of study.
Creative ICT lessons at Savremena included:
- disassembling a computer system where students can see hardware components inside the computer and touch the components.
- creating their own website in Wix CMS platform and page design.
This is the website by student Mateja Popović: http://matejapopovic6.wixsite.com/mysite
- Document editing (in Google Docs) lessons where students were creating complex MS Word / Google docs documents (example: Document link)
- Computer networks and the effects of using them:
- HTML & CSS coding. Using HTML and CSS code, the students create their web pages and files, learn complex code and use a web server to upload files to be visible over the internet.
The students appreciate this approach, since ICT is best studied as a practical means to achieving concrete goals. After all, Savremena is famous for its ICT brilliance that goes well beyond the ICT lessons themselves.